West Hastings and Seymour – nw corner

These days it’s the site of a curious public park, but until the late 1970s this corner was home to The Empire Building, completed in 1889, designed by C O Wickenden and developed by Canadian Pacific Railway surgeon J M Lefevre, a member of the first City Council in 1886.

It was replaced in 1985 by the privately owned public open space associated with 333 Seymour, a chrome and black glass box that instantly went out of style but shows the era it was designed in more than most Vancouver office buildings. The architects, Tudor & Walters, were the successors to the McCarter Nairne architectural practice that designed the Marine Building and the Main Post Office.


Posted December 25, 2011 by ChangingCity in Downtown, Gone

Tagged with , , ,

%d bloggers like this: