East Hastings and Columbia – sw corner

Here is the Empire Hotel (the second we’ve featured with that name on Hastings Street) as it looked in 1931. Now it’s addressed as 92 East Hastings Street, but it used to be known as 401-and-a-half Columbia Street.  These days it’s a smaller building, the 1961 bank that’s now occupied by Pigeon Park Savings – at least for now, as the building was recently sold. We’re not sure how old the original hotel was, but it was given a major expansion in 1906 with Parr and Fee carrying out the design work. It’s one of a number of locations around the city where the existing building is actually smaller than what used to be there.

Advertisements

Posted December 26, 2011 by ChangingCity in East End, Gone

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: