Commercial Hotel – 340 Cambie Street

Just round the corner, and older than the Hotel Astor, William Blackmore’s design for The Commercial Hotel for Crean and Thomas were realised in 1895. It was still called the Commercial Hotel in 1950 when this image was taken, but it soon became the El Cid Hotel, and then the Stadium Inn. Like many buildings of the era it has lost details, especially at the top of the building, but at 116 years old it’s holding up pretty well. The stonework was carried out by David Gibbs and Company. The backdrop changed dramatically in 2010 with the completion of the 43 storey Woodwards W Tower.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: