West Pender and Granville – sw corner (1)

Here’s the corner of Granville and Pender Streets around 1895. That’s the new Post Office and Custom House building, and Jonathan Miller was the postmaster. C O Wickenden was the architect – he was busy around that time as he was also designing the new Christ Church in Downtown.

The building was replaced once the new larger Post Office was completed on Hastings Street in 1910, and now the corner features the 1973 Underwood, McKinley, Wilson & Smith designed Pender Place office towers. The building on the left just edging into the picture is the 1916 Bank of Montreal, these days SFU’s Segal School of Business. There’s another post that shows the same corner a few years later.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: