Here’s the corner of Pender and Howe in 1947. That’s the Pender Hall, which was sometimes called the Acland Hood Hall (although it got spelled in a variety of inaccurate ways). It was almost certainly built by William Acland Hood, who dropped the Acland in Vancouver, and was half of Hood Brothers (with Robert Hood) who were Real Estate, Insurance and Financial Agents on Pender Street.
The building was erected in 1903 to the design of W T Whiteway. Mr Hood built another Pender development in 1906, designed by Dalton and Eveleigh. These days it’s another mid-height (15-storey) office building from 1978, designed by Underwood, McKinley, Wilson and Smith.