We noted on an earlier post that Glencoe Lodge (or the Hotel Belfred as it briefly became) was replaced by a gas station. So here is that gas station – the Standard Oil station at the corner of West Georgia and Burrard, across the street from Christ Church (which gained Cathedral status in 1929). (note – contrary to our normal practice we have cleaned up the original photo a bit – it has deteriorated quite badly, but fortunately only in the sky portion of the image)
There was a gas station at this important location for a surprisingly long time. Although it was given a contemporary makeover, it was still operating in 1971, and still by Standard Oil, as this slightly oddly angled image shows.
Not long after this photograph was taken, the gas station must have been removed as the Royal Centre, including the Hyatt Hotel and the 38 storey RBC tower was opened in 1973. The architects were Dirassar, James, Jorgenson & Davis – a Vancouver company also responsible for designing the Chemetics Building and the now-demolished Capitol 6 Cinema. Associate Architects were Webb Zerafa Menkes of Toronto, and as we noted before, CBK Van Norman also advised on aspects of the design.
Photo sources: City of Vancouver Archives CVA 447-311 and CVA 447-363