Cambie Street and 5th Avenue

Standard Oil 5th & Cambie

Here’s the Standard Oil station at 5th Avenue on Cambie Street. Photographer Stuart Thompson was commissioned by the company to record their new filling station, and he photographed it in 1935. Just as coffee shops seem to cluster today, so apparently did filling stations. The driveway to the right of the picture led into the older Union Oil gas bar. Union and Standard were rivals, Union based in California and Standard in New York.

They weren’t the only auto businesses in the area – Nye’s service station can be seen behind the gas bar in both pictures. Designed by Townley and Matheson it was built in 1923 and also sold gas. While the Nye building lives on in a new role, as a funeral director’s, the two gas bars were replaced in 1993 by the ICBC office complex housing the main police station with one of the Insurance Corporation’s assessment centres.

Image source City of Vancouver Archives CVA 99-4774

Advertisements

Posted July 9, 2013 by ChangingCity in Broadway, Gone

Tagged with ,

%d bloggers like this: