Firehall – East Cordova Street


Fire Hall #1 was designed by W T Whiteway on East Cordova Street in 1905, replacing a grocery store. Here it is a year later in a VPL image. In 1950 a new Firehall #1 was opened, and the Firehall #2 on Seymour Street was closed. This building wasn’t decommissioned – it just had a name change to Firehall #2. A new hall was built nearby on Main Street in 1974, and in 1982 the Firehall Arts Centre opened in the decommissioned building. At least, that’s Fire Hall #1 Water Street 1895the official version, and while not in any way incorrect, it’s slightly misleading – it wasn’t the first fire station in the city. The first fire Fire Hall #1 was located on Water Street – there was a hose tower, and Engine House with sleeping hall above, and a hose house and gymnasium, all to the west of the Alhambra Hotel where the 1930 Nagle Brothers Garage was later built, and more recently converted to a retail and condo structure. Firehall #1 today is on Heatley Avenue – to the left are Vancouver’s early fire fighters in 1895.

Image source: VPL and City of Vancouver Archives FD P41



Posted 8 September 2013 by ChangingCity in Altered, East End, Still Standing

Tagged with

%d bloggers like this: