We saw the house built in 1901 at the corner of Nelson and Howe as it looked in 1928 in our previous post. Here’s the same corner in 1962, although the building now looks very different. Downtown has changed a lot, and what was a family house has become a store – although the house is still in use on the upper floors. In 1936 the house was occupied by Mr Watt, a carpenter, but around the corner 997 Howe St was a newly established confectionary store run by Mrs M Mayahara. They were both still there in 1940, and ten years later James H Morrison, a switchman with the Canadian Northern Railway lived in the house with his wife Mary while at 997 Howe, Lil and Bill’s grocery was operating (Lil and William Woo).
In 1955 Mrs Oswald was leasing rooms at 805 Nelson, and the grocery store was run by J F Rose and T Genovese. The Reliable Grocery must have been a continuation of the use, as this VPL image shows. By the mid 1970s the site had been acquired and cleared for the new Courthouse complex – although earlier versions of the plan for the site called for a massive tower, designed, like the current structure, by Arthur Erickson.