We saw what this corner of Pender and Howe looked like in 1947 in an earlier post. The building was erected in 1903 to the design of W T Whiteway for William Acland Hood, who became known as William Hood in Vancouver. He was a partner in of Hood Brothers (with Robert Hood) who were Real Estate, Insurance and Financial Agents on Pender Street.
This 1919 Vancouver Public Library image shows that it was for a while part of the ever-expanding number of buildings associated with Downtown Vancouver’s love of motordom. The Battery House first appeared at this address (808 West Pender) in 1916. When this picture was taken the business was run by P M Macfarlane and William Walker, and before they moved here the business was located on Richards Street. Before that Mr Walker was in partnership with William Ure, and in 1912 they advertised as Electrical and Mechanical Engineers specializing in Storage Batteries. The company only stayed at this location for five years before moving to Burrard Street.
Before the Battery House moved in, the corner was first occupied in 1905 by a grocers run by John F May. The Pender Hall, which was sometimes called the Acland Hood Hall had its entrance next door and F P Bishop sold wallpaper next to that. The same occupants were all still there in 1910, although Mr Bishop was now in partnership as Bishop Gaskell Co, paperhangers. By 1915, before the Battery House moved in) the entire building was vacant as the city saw a continued downturn in the local economy.
These days it’s a 1978 15-storey office building designed by Underwood, McKinley, Wilson and Smith.