This church stood on the south east corner of Dunsmuir and Hamilton streets. It was designed in 1889 by Thomas Hooper, better known these days for his many workmanlike commercial buildings. However, four of the first ten buildings that we know he designed in the city were churches. This early 1900s image shows that there weren’t too many houses – or any other buildings – in the neighbourhood when the First Baptist church was built. This wasn’t the first First Baptist Church – that was on the corner of Dupont (Pender today) and Westminster Avenue (now Main Street) but this Hooper designed wooden edifice was much bigger and could seat 800. After only 14 years the church needed to move again, and a lot on the corner of Burrard and Nelson was purchased, although the congregation weren’t able to move until 1911 to the stone building still standing today.
Today the Vancouver Playhouse occupies the site, although where the church stood includes the surrounding landscaping and driveway for the theatre.
Image source: City of Vancouver Archives CVA Ch N66