This image was taken just over 30 years ago, but there have been some big changes on the block over the years since 1981. The concrete monolith of a hotel is still at the end of the block. The Chateau Granville was only four years old in the original picture, designed by Hamilton Doyle Architects. Next door the 3-storey rooming house at 1134 Granville has been here since 1910. According to the permit it was built by J Hoffmeister for J Clomes (who claimed to design it) at a cost of $18,000. Actually it was John Clowes, who was living in Richmond in 1911, but in Vancouver in 1901. He was listed in the 1911 census as a carpenter, born in Quebec in 1849. He had lived at the address where the building was constructed from as far back as the early 1890s, in the city from the late 1880s, and was probably the John Clowes who died in Burnaby in 1922.
In 1981 there was a vacant site to the south of the Clowes Building, and it stayed that way for nearly 30 years. There had been buildings there, including a four storey $21,000 building designed by Townsend & Townsend in 1912, but by 1981 they had been cleared away. In 2013 ‘The Standard’ was completed here, the first market rental building completed under the City of Vancouver’s rental incentive program.
To the south is a 3-storey building – we haven’t been able to identify either a date or an architect, although it wasn’t there in 1920, when it was a 2-storey building. In 1981 (and today) it’s part of the adjacent hotel, in 1981 the Blackstone, today the Howard Johnson Downtown. When it was built it was the Hotel Martinique, (and in the 1980s the Hotel California) and it cost Charles Fee $100,000 to build. He probably wasn’t overcharged for the plans; his brother Thomas was half of the Parr and Fee partnership who designed it in 1911.
On the corner of Davie was a classic-with-a-touch-of-art-deco Bank of Nova Scotia, designed by Sharp & Thompson in 1930. It was finally considered an unwanted branch 70 years later, and in 2001 Architectura’s design for The Dance Centre (with input from Arthur Erickson) saw the Granville façade retained on the contemporary concrete and glass box on Davie.
Image source : City of Vancouver Archives CVA 779-E03.23A