Dunsmuir Street from Burrard

Burrard from Dunsmuir south

The YWCA residences was a substantial building that lasted a remarkably short time. Opened in 1969, it closed in 1995 and was imploded in 1997. Designed by Vladimir Plavsic & Associates it was added to an earlier 1950’s smaller building by Sharp, Thompson, Berwick & Pratt. It was replaced on an adjacent site on Hornby Street, and the original site became part of Bentall Five, a new office tower built in two phases – the top 11 floors were added several years after the first 22. To enable that to occur, a staging area had to be retained, and that’s where Musson Cattell Mackey’s Cactus Club Café was built once the office tower was complete.

Image source: City of Vancouver Archives CVA 779-W04.22

 

 

Advertisements

Posted November 17, 2014 by ChangingCity in Downtown, Gone

Tagged with

%d bloggers like this: