We saw this location, but with a different building, in the previous post. Between the demolition of St Ann’s Academy (the city’s first Catholic School) in 1947, and the construction of 401 West Georgia, completed in 1984, there was one of Vancouver’s favourite structures of the 1950s and 60’s – a parkade. This was a modest building; the designer, (we don’t know who was responsible), squeezed a layer of retail and office uses along Dunsmuir Street with cars above, with a furniture store and the offices of a credit union along Homer Street.
The design for the new office tower that replaced it, by Aitken, Smith, Carter Architects – a precursor to Architectura and Stantec, put the 22 storey office tower closer to West Georgia and a low pavilion with a significant setback on Dunsmuir, allowing a view of the Holy Rosary Cathedral from the east.
Image sources: City of Vancouver Archives CVA 778-73 and CVA 779-E10.08