Archive for June 2016

Water Street west from near Abbott

Water St west from Abbott

We have previously reviewed the development of Edward Lipsett’s properties to the left of this picture in an earlier post, and a subsequent follow-up. (We also looked at The Gold House, the hotel that was here earlier). We were fairly sure that the property was developed in phases, with the first being a warehouse and factory for Edward Lipsett, sail maker, costing $10,000 and designed by Dalton and Eveleigh in 1906. This image is undated, but comes from the early 1900s – which would match our understanding of the property phasing. It’s clear that the Lipsett building has two floors at this point, and had a vacant lot to the west, so that matches our understanding that a $20,000 permit in 1912 for a 2-storey brick addition saw the building extended vertically. The subsequent infill to the west came later, initially with just one storey, then completed to almost match the 1906/1912 building.

Beyond is Sven Sherdahl’s Dominion Hotel, developed in 1900 and designed by Emil Guenther. Across Abbott Street is the Winters Hotel from 1907, and on the other side of Water Street is Parr and Fee’s Leeson, Dickie, Gross and Co’s warehouse, built in 1909 (so pushing the date of the picture into a narrower band). Across Abbott is McLennan & McFeely’s warehouse that they leased to the Canadian Fairbanks Company, built in 1905. In 1914 (and not 1912 as the Heritage Statement suggest) the Prince Rupert Meat Company built the seven storey warehouse on the extreme right of the picture next to Leeson’s, which they claimed to design and build themselves. That logically puts the date of the image between 1910 and 1913.

Image source: City of Vancouver Archives CVA M-11-53

0558

Advertisements

Homer Street – 500 block west side

500 Homer west

In the previous post we looked at the other side of the street. We have looked at a couple of the buildings on this side of the street in earlier posts. To the right of the lamppost in this 1930s Vancouver Public Library image is the Emil Guenther designed Eagle Temple built in 1914, with H S Griffith’s 1912 West Pender Building beyond it – still standing today.

The 1912 insurance map shows all the lots on the west side of Homer developed with houses like the ones on the left of the picture, all also shown on the earlier 1901 map, (when the east side was also all houses). Those are all too old for us to easily trace their building permits. A few were hanging on in the van stationersVancouver Stationers 19301930s, although the Eagle Temple had replaced a large house on a double lot. A new building had replaced another of the houses, apparently in 1930 when Vancouver Stationers Ltd first appear in the Street Directory.

O Weber was President and Treasurer, and W J Hagel the vice-president. It’s not entirely clear what their slogan ‘the quality of our printing is consistent with the prices we charge’ meant. Were they inexpensive, but ‘hey, you get what you pay for’? Or expensive, but worth every cent? The company had previously been in business on Granville Street, and the Public Library also has this 1930 Stuart Thompson image that was probably taken on completion of the building. It shows that there was still a house tucked away in the gap between the Eagles Lodge and the new building.

In 2004 Belkin House, a new facility for the Salvation Army was completed, with over 100 rooms and capacity to have over 200 people sleep in the building.

0557

Posted June 2, 2016 by ChangingCity in Downtown, Gone

Tagged with