Kingston Hotel – Richards Street

Telus change 2

Until very recently, the context for the Kingston Hotel on Richards Street was two parkades – one on either side. Remarkably, the Kingston Hotel is not only still a hotel 105 years after it was built, it’s still owned by the same family who built it. Lawrence O’Hagan developed the hotel late in 1912 at a cost of $40,000, with the architects identified as James and Davidson. Somehow, as is often the case, Lawrence O’Hagan seems to be missing from both the 1911 and 1921 Census records. Lawrence’s death record shows he was aged 66 when he died in 1929, that he was a hotel keeper who had been in Vancouver since 1894, in British Columbia since 1889, and in Canada since 1884. He was buried in Mountain View cemetery.

Fortunately, because he had arrived in Canada before the turn of the century he appears in the 1901 Census. He was living with his wife Helen, his one-year-old daughter, also called Helen, and his sister-in-law, Agnes Legg. All three adults had been born in Ireland, but baby Helen had been born in British Columbia. Lawrence was a cannery man, who in this record arrived in Canada in 1889, and his wife had arrived in 1895. Helen died in 1947, when her name was recorded as Ellen. Lawrence and Helen had married in British Columbia in 1892 and the marriage record shows Lawrence was from Ometh, and Helen from Lagan. They had a son, James, born in 1901, (whose marriage in 1927 recorded his mother as Ellen, rather than Helen).

The architects, James and Davidson, were a short-lived partnership between English architect Charles James and established builder (and sometime designer) Bedford Davidson. James arrived in 1910, just before a recession saw very little development completed after 1912.

Our picture is from the mid 2000s before the two parkades were redeveloped. To the south the Telus parking garage has been replaced with a 46 storey condo building (with the lower four floors as office) and to the north a 22 storey office tower, both called Telus Garden, and both designed by Henriquez Partners architects.

 

Advertisements

Posted August 22, 2016 by ChangingCity in Downtown, Still Standing

Tagged with ,

%d bloggers like this: