We looked at these buildings when they were the home of Consolidated Motors in 1931. Once Consolidated moved down the street at the end of the 1930s, McDermott Motors took over, selling Oldsmobile and Chevrolet cars. Part of the buildings (to the west) were used as a Government Armoury in the war, which is why the Archives have a picture of a large gun sat on the street in front. After the war Consolidated Motors moved back to the building on the right, 1230 W Georgia. By 1949 McDermott had moved on to a new location on Burrard Street, and Ross Baker Motors moved in. They had been in business since 1925, and became part of Wolfe Chevrolet in 1952, when they moved out of Georgia Street.
Consolidated Motors stayed for a while in the right hand building, but with new non-motoring based neighbours. The 1200 West Georgia building on the corner of Bute became the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation studios announced in early 1953 to cost one million dollar. The television studio and transmitter allowed Vancouver residents to receive the first Canadian TV programs on CBUT, Channel 2 in December 1953. By 1958 when Alvin Armstrong took this image, the CBC had expanded westwards into the other garage as well. While the outward appearance was of an art deco building from the 30s or 40s, underneath were the car showrooms and repair garages from the 1910s.
By the late 1960s CBC were looking to expand and build purpose-built (and soundproof) studios, hiring Thompson, Berwick & Pratt to design the new Downtown studios further east (with Paul Merrick designing the bunker-like outcome).
Today there are two 36 storey towers of the Residences on Georgia, designed by James Cheng for Westbank for the Kuok Group.