Thurlow and West Georgia Street – se corner

This image dates back to 1973, just before these buildings were demolished to be replaced by the new office tower designed by Musson Cattell Mackey for Prudential Insurance. Don Docksteader’s Volvo dealership occupied the corner, while to the east was a 1912 3-storey building originally built for Begg Brothers, another car dealership. Costed at $60,000 and built by Dominion Construction it was designed to be a 5 storey structure originally by a relatively unknown architect, M E Williams. Four years later Begg’s added the single storey addition for $15,000, described as ‘Garage & repair shop; lot to the west of the present building & will occupy all of the space btwn this building and Thurlow St., and Georgia to Alberni Street’.

We saw the same corner view in an earlier post that showed the Begg showroom around 1920. In 1924, Begg sold Chevys, Cadillacs and Nashes. Fred Begg was president of the Vancouver Motor Dealers Association when he died in 1939. Fred’s three sons, Roy, Lloyd and Stuart Begg continued running the family business. They sold Chevrolet vehicles for many years, before switching to become a Chrysler dealership up to 1950, still located here. In 1951 they added another showroom a block away in another early vehicle dealership location, but continued to use this location as well for several years.

Advertisements

Posted December 7, 2017 by ChangingCity in Downtown, Gone

Tagged with ,

%d bloggers like this: