Gore Avenue – 600 block, west side

These three small houses, seen here in 1969, stayed for around century until the site was redeveloped in 2006. The developer had intended the building to be seniors rental, but went into receivership, and the City of Vancouver allowed  it to become a condo building called Strathcona Edge, after the units had sat vacant for three years.

The houses had been built early in the life of the new city – they were already developed on the 1889 insurance map. Early street directories identified who lived here, but no numbers had been allocated to the cottages. In 1891 Chas Macaulay, a fitter, Joseph Black, a clerk and Robert Brechin, a bookkeeper lived here. None of those names appeared in the 1889 directory, so all were probably newly arrived in the city. Remarkably, in a city where almost everybody moved around regularly, Robert Brechin was still here in 1901, listed as a teacher. He was aged 48, and had been born in India, arriving in Canada in 1888. His wife Maggie was 34, and from Nova Scotia, and they had three children aged 17 (already an engineer), 15 and 12, and a lodger, Arthur Critchlow, from England. The two older children had been born in Nova Scotia, but their daughter Katie had been born in Murrayville in BC. Robert taught at the Strathcona School, and in 1901 was paid 55 dollars a month. He died in 1905 (after the family had moved round the corner to Keefer Street) and the Mount Pleasant Advocate newspaper noted his death, identifying him as the Provincial Organizer of the Orange Order. He was also a Past Noble Grand of the International Order of Odd Fellows.

George Bingham, a 35 year old painter from London, England, who had arrived in Canada in 1886 lived next door with his wife Frances, and Ernest Wood, a 25-year-old hack driver from Ontario was in the third cottage with his wife, Mabel.

The building to the south was designed by Bird and Blackmore for Leon Way & Co in 1911, and Adkison & Dill built the $30,000 rooming house that year. To the north is the Stratford Hotel, developed by Mrs Walter Sanford at a cost of $100,000 in 1912.

Image source: City of Vancouver Archives CVA 780-333

0849

Advertisements

Posted March 7, 2019 by ChangingCity in East End, Gone

%d bloggers like this: