1176 Hornby Street

This 1911 building was reported to be designed by the owners, the Richmond Dairy & Produce Co., Ltd. and built by J T Herritt & Co at a cost of $25,000. The foreman of the business was John Glasgow. He left in 1918, and the Vancouver Sun reported “A pleasant ceremony took place last night, when John Glasgow was presented with a handsome set of pipes by the boys of the Richmond Dairy & Produce Co., Ltd., on the occasion of his resignation from the staff. Mr. Glasgow had been the foreman of the concern for the past seven years, and was held in highest esteem. His resignation will be regretted.

That suggests he had been in this location from when it opened, although he had arrived in 1909 and in 1911 was a carpenter, from Scotland. In that year’s census he was in lodgings, but a year later he was listed as a checker at the dairy, with rooms in the Tourist Hotel. The manager of the new premises was Earnest Sherwood. Before moving to this location Richmond Dairy & Produce were managed by Alfred Mason, and were in premises on West Pender and Abbott Street. In 1918 there were changes in the dairy, which might explain Mr Glasgow’s decision to move on.

While early dairy farms supplied Vancouver from Richmond, the opening of the electric railway interurban to Chilliwack allowed competition from the dairy farms located in the Fraser Valley. Fierce competition for markets, unreliable customers and high freight rates ensured that farmers were making little profit. In 1913 new legislation allowed the creation of a dairy marketing co-operative, which by 1916 covered 97% of milk production. As markets stabilized, the question arose of what to do with surplus milk. Three properties were leased to deal with the milk, in Sardis, Chilliwack, and the Richmond Dairy Company on Hornby Street. In 1926 the Port O’Van Ice Cream Company was formed, which in 1938 became the Arctic Ice Cream and Dairy Co.¬†By 1936 when this picture was taken the business was operating in the converted house to the north as well, and the Arctic name was already in use. Operation continued into the 1950s as Dairyland, a business that continues today as part of Saputo Foods.

The Ice Cream plant (and Diamond Ice) continued to operate here through the 1960s, but production had moved to Burnaby in the early 1970s. The Swan Wooster Building, designed by Romses Kwan and Associates was completed in 1984, incorporating the site of the Elcho Apartments on the corner of Davie as well.

Image source: City of Vancouver Archives CVA 99-4857

0949

Posted February 20, 2020 by ChangingCity in Downtown, Gone

Tagged with ,

%d bloggers like this: