Carrall Street north at West Hastings

Like the previous post, this shot faces Burrard Inlet and the north shore mountains. It’s from two blocks further east and one block south, and was taken in 1901. On the left is the Interurban terminal, operated by BC Electric. This is the first offices and car shed designed by Frances Rattenbury in 1897. It was replaced in 1911 with a new, larger building designed by W M Somervell. It was headquarters of the BC Electric company’s entire operations until they moved to their new Burrard Street building in the mid 1950s.

Across Hastings was the Palace Hotel. Like the brick streetcar barns and office, it didn’t last long. In 1912 the Montreal-based Merchant’s Bank hired Somervell and Putnam to design a new building. It was stone clad, in a classical temple style, but on a steel frame that could have permitted several more floors to be added. However, the economic downturn and the westwards shift of the city’s businesses meant it has never been increased in height. It has recently had a significant seismic upgrade and is available as office space.

Beyond it was the Louvre Hotel. Built in 1889, it was initially home to the Vancouver Drug Company run by Dr. James Rolls and the Vancouver Tea and Coffee Company. A few years later it became the Brown Jug Saloon, which was renamed as The Louvre. Langley and Co who were wholesale druggists occupied a new building built between the Louvre and the bank, and in 1908 it was altered to become the Bijou Theatre. That use ended in 1918, and the building was demolished in 1940. Eighty years later the site is being redeveloped, incorporating the Louvre’s facade, into a market residential rental building.

Across the street, the north east corner of Hastings and Carrall was, and is, the Templeton Block. Built in 1891 and designed by C O Wickenden we’ve looked at it as it was in the early 1900s, in 1926, and in 1940. It started life as a grocery store, became a bar (The Mint Saloon), became a clothing store and Knowlton’s Drugs, and then a cigar store, with Seven Little Tailors upstairs. Today it’s the renovated headquarters of the Portland Hotel Society, with a main floor gallery space called The Interurban, and Knowlton’s Drugs still next door.

1022

Posted 2 November 2020 by ChangingCity in East End, Gone

%d bloggers like this: