Archive for December 2021

Sandringham – Nelson Street

In 1927 this newly completed apartment block, The Sandringham, managed by Mrs J M McMillan was photographed. We’re reasonably sure that the car was a 1927 Marmon – Hyman, distributed by the Russell, Wilson Motor Co on Granville Street. The apartments were developed by Major General J M McMillan at a cost of $55,000, and designed by Gardiner & Mercer.

General McMillan’s military title wasn’t just honorary; in 1918 he was on a tour of the US with two colleagues under the auspices of the Council of National Defense giving short talks of their experiences at the front. The officers were members of the first expeditionary force. In 1927 he was listed as Lt Col J M McMillan, and was president of Cassiar Packing, (a salmon packing plant on the Skeena River), and lived on West 2nd in Point Grey in a new house that Mrs. McMillan had commissioned, costing $10,000. His home until 1926 was 1857 Nelson, next door to this site, and this was a tennis court. Once he moved, his former house became the Sandringham Annex, with apartments that in 1933 were advertised for a ‘refined person’ and offered hot water – day and night.

John McLarty Macmillan was Scottish, born at Lochranza (on the Isle of Arran) in 1871. He arrived in North America in 1894, involved in the salmon canning business, but then headed to Australia in 1900 where he apparently enlisted in a mounted regiment called the New South Wales Imperial Bushmen, raised to fight in South Africa in the Boer War (although the available Australian official war records don’t list him being on active service).

By 1904 he had moved to British Columbia; marrying Isabella Ewen in her home town, (she was born in New Westminster in 1880). Her father was Alexander Ewen, a prominent salmon canner. At the time John was working for Menzies & Co., Vancouver brokers. There’s no sign of the couple for several years, but in 1911 they passed through New York on their way to Vancouver. That year he was listed as a financial agent ‘of Macmillan and Oliphant’, with Thomas Oliphant, but the partnership was short-lived and Oliphant was working on his own a year later. He was also the secretary-treasurer of the Pacific Whaling Company, which was part of the Mackenzie Mann & Co.’s Canadian Northern Railway interests. At the age of 43, once war was declared, he enlisted with the Canadian Expeditionary Force. He started as a Captain, but by the end of 1915, in France, he was a lieutenant-colonel. He was discharged at the end of 1917, and returned to Vancouver where he worked as a salmon broker. (He tried to enlist in the second war, but when it was discovered that he was nearly 70, he was discharged). He died in 1950, and Isabella in 1975.

The apartment building was replaced in 1977 by West Park, a 4-storey wood frame condo building with 42 units designed with loft spaces by Terry Hale Architects. Andre Molnar’s Realmar Developments carried out the development, which offered ‘Condominiums of the future at affordable prices – today’. Units started at $33,900. Today any that become available fetch a little more than that.

Image source: City of Vancouver Archives CVA Bu N257

1143

Posted 30 December 2021 by ChangingCity in Gone, West End

Tagged with ,

Pacific Street east from Burrard (1)

It’s hard to believe there was so little along this stretch of Pacific Street in the 1980s. The picture is undated – it’s listed as being taken some time between 1980 and 1997. We can fix that because of the Kilborn Building, the red brick office complex on the north side of Pacific. In the image it’s just completing construction, so this is most likely to be 1982. Waisman Dewar Grout Architects designed the 7 storey office building, clad in the City Planner of the day’s favoured brick veneer.

There had been houses along Pacific on both sides of the block headed east since the 1890s. The houses on the south side of this block were cleared away for the construction of the Burrard Bridge, while on this side there had been just one house, fronting Burrard Street and beyond the lane were four single storey cottages. They predated the turn of the century, and their early residents held responsible positions. There was Thomas Sharp in No. 1, manager of the Globe Sign Works. Fred Cope was at No. 2, a contractor later involved with a large electrical wholesaling company that bore the family name. At No. 3 was Mr. Eaton, who worked for the CPR, and at No. 4 H J Saunders, the bookkeeper for Robertson & Hackett’s sawmill, who shared his address with Mrs. Elizabeth Peat, a ladies nurse. Jacob Hoffmeister, an electrician and business partner with his brother Reinhart lived in 1386 Burrard, the first house past Pacific up the hill, which he built for $2,000 in 1905. The lane between his house and the cottages was built over when the Kilborn Building was developed.

Beyond Hornby there was, and is, a small house. It used to be just off Pacific, on Hornby, and for decades was home to Il Giardino, Umberto Menghi’s legendary Italian restaurant. He sold up in 2013, and developer Grosvenor proposed a condo tower with zig-zag balconies, designed in Montreal. The Leslie House, the 1888 house last used as the restaurant was lifted, shifted, and now sits on Pacific on new foundations just beyond the tower. The developers also offered to build an 8-storey arts building (production space, not residential) on the lot to the east. It has a black-and-white staggered facade, just visible under the traffic light.

Image source: City of Vancouver Archives CVA 772-273

1142

Posted 27 December 2021 by ChangingCity in Altered, Downtown

Tagged with

Burrard Bridge

The Burrard Bridge was built between 1930 and 1932 This image was photographed some time in the 1940s, when the new connection across False Creek still hadn’t prompted redevelopment along Burrard. Today the concrete piers of the bridge, with their art deco lanterns, seem insignificant, but in earlier days they stood out.

In our bridge photo the houses on the east side of the 1300 block were built in the early 1900s. The first six, to the north had been completed by 1904. We’ve lost most of the permits up to 1908, when there were 13 houses (the full block), so we don’t know who built most of them. The first house on Burrard was developed in 1905, cost $2,000 and was built by Jacob Hoffmeister, who was 26 that year, and had moved into the house by 1906.

He was one of six Hoffmeister Brothers, several of them electricians and later involved in the early motor trade. From Ontario, all six accompanied their father (and two sisters) west. Reinhart and Jacob were both involved with Hoffmeister Electric, a company that specialized in the design, construction, and installation of electric generators, often in very large industrial businesses. The company was founded in 1898, and finally closed in 1960.

His neighbour was Ansil Thatcher, a machinist, who had carried out alterations to his home in 1907. He was from Williamstown, in Michigan, and said he was 29 when he married Elizabeth Dickie who was 22 and from New Brunswick in 1900 in Vancouver. (Actually he was 4 years older).

Before the bridge was built, as we noted in earlier posts, Burrard Street was ridiculously wide for a residential street that didn’t lead anywhere (except to a small wharf). Here’s a 1923 image showing the street north from West Georgia. Today it’s part of the Central Business District, but then, not so much.

The bridge was designed by G L Thornton Sharp, of Sharp and Thompson, working with John R Grant, its engineer. Some of the bridge’s steelwork was clad in art deco towers, and the detailing on the light columns and lanterns (which were purely decoration) matches. The structure is a hybrid of various bridge types, and was designed for a possible lift span for a rail crossing under the deck, that was never built. It was built with six lanes that could theoretically carry traffic volumes that have never existed. A redesign in the past decade saw the addition of first one, and then a second protected bicycle lane, and replacement lighting and new fences on the outer edges, as well as extensive seismic upgrades.

Image sources: CVA 1184-1697 and CVA Str N180

1141

Posted 23 December 2021 by ChangingCity in Downtown, Still Standing

Tagged with

346 Powell Street

According to the Assessment Authority this two storey block dates from 1926. Our picture is from 1978, when this was the Centennial Rooms, and we think the building was constructed in 1910 by Pearson, Williamson & Crick. That’s when a permit for a $7,700 development designed by Jones & Aspell for Oscar Brown was issued, and there’s no sign of a permit for any mid 1920s redevelopment or alterations.

Oscar proved hard to track down. He arrived in the city around 1899 when he was listed as ‘of Brown & McGregor, wholesale fruit merchants’. His home address changed from 737 Hamilton to 846 Hornby in 1901, both houses owned by somebody else, where he presumably rented a room. He was in the Georgia Rooms in 1902 and from 1908 to 1911 had rooms in the Hotel Vancouver. He seems to have successfully evaded the 1901 and 1911 census collectors. In 1909 he bought 160 acres on the Bulkley River.

Oscar soon had one of the busiest fruit and vegetable wholesale businesses in the city, located in premises on Water Street, initially at 147 Water, and after around 1911 at 165 Water. Oscar’s involvement in the business that continued to bear his name was limited however. In May 1911 The Daily World published a short news story: “Much Regret Expressed on Wholesale Row Over Departure of Mr. Oscar Brown. But His Successor Is Made Welcome. Along wholesaIe row this morning considerable regret was expressed at the news that Mr. Oscar Brown was retiring from business. The news of his retirement, as told exclusively in The World on Tuesday, came as a surprise. All along the row this morning could be heard remarks that Indicated that Mr. Brown, though a competitor was looked upon as a square man and an honest though energetic, opponent. Everyone who knew him expressed the hope that the time would yet come when with renewed vigor he would return to the commercial fray. Mingled with the regrets at the departure of Mr. Brown were expressions of welcome to his successor, Mr. Marpole, to the strenuous life of wholesale row.” Mr. Marpole was Richard F Marpole, son of the CPR Superintendent, (also called Richard).

There were hundreds of newspaper entries for Oscar Brown, because he made sure that every rail car arriving in the city carrying California oranges or Okanagan pears was reported. However, we could find nothing about Mr. Brown until we came across a notice of his death, in California, in 1928. “Victim of Motor Car Accident in California in 53rd Year. Mr. Oscar Brown, founder of Oscar Brown & Co. Ltd, one of Vancouver’s older wholesale fruit houses, and one of the city’s most prominent business men from 1899 to 1914, died at noon Tuesday in Santa Barbara as a result of Injuries received In an automobile accident in the California city. Although he had not resided here since 1914, until almost a year ago Mr. Brown was a frequent visitor to his old home city, where he had a host of friends. His death Is especially regretted among the older executives In the Water street wholesale district. who watched him build his business to one of the most successful In the city.

This allowed us to dig out the 1920 US census in Santa Barbara which showed Oscar Brown, wholesaler, from Arkansas, aged 44, with 7 roomers sharing his address. He appeared as secretary of the Montecito Country Club (a golf club) in Santa Barbara when it was established in 1921. He was buried in Santa Barbara with no apparent record of his upbringing, apparently a life-long bachelor. He was 23 when he arrived in Vancouver, and 35 when he sold off his business, moving to California at 39. We have no idea how he ended up in Vancouver from Arkansas.

Oscar presumably sold this investment property before leaving the city. In 1920 H A Jones was the owner, hiring William Horie to carry out $1,400 of repairs. When the building first opened there was a newspaper office, a branch of the Prince Rupert Meat Co, the Horseshoe Restaurant and a Japanese grocer. The rooms upstairs were just listed as ‘Japanese’. In 1920 they were the Oro Rooms, and the English Restaurant had taken over the Horseshoe, although the name was perhaps misleading as it was run by Gin Fay Main, almost certainly Chinese.

In 1940 the White Rooms were upstairs, run by K Kobayashi, with the Powell Bakery run by S Nunoda, and the English Cafe by J F Ming, (who was probably Gin Fay Main). Although the Japanese community were forced to leave the area in 1942, a few returned. In 1950 Nitta Mitsuyoshi was running a grocers and fish store here, next to the Club Utopia restaurant run by H Woo and S H Fong. It was run as a cabaret, and in 1959 had its licence reviewed “The Club Utopia, police said, is known to police “as the base of activity on the part of thieves and robbers who prey on drunken patrons” This 1954 advert shows an eclectic cuisine, as well as dancing on offer, although it would appear not to have had a liquor licence. The White Rooms were still upstairs, run by T Wing, and the Lun Yick Cafe was in 350 Powell.

Our 1978 image shows the Marl Cafe, ‘Chinese and Canadian Food’, a Bean Cake store next door, and Noguchi Electronics at the end of the block. Today the block is an SRO rooming house with 13 residential units (SRA) above, 7 of which are above average in size, with a separate bedroom area, and one with two separate bedroom areas, plus 2 common washrooms. The retail units are vacant, but have in recent years included a sandwich shop and the fully licenced Aristocrat Restaurant, which closed in 2014 and was offered for sale with a “stage area with disco lighting, dance floor, buffet area and fully equipped bar with keg dispenser”. The Downtown Pharmacy was closed in 2015 by the College of Pharmacists; “in the interest of public safety following an inspection of the pharmacy by College inspectors, which raised serious concerns with respect to unhygienic conditions of the pharmacy, and the suitability of the premises to continue operating as a pharmacy.” The pharmacy was operating as a methadone supplier when it was closed.

1140

Posted 20 December 2021 by ChangingCity in East End, Still Standing

Tagged with ,

East Georgia Street and Jackson, nw

This Archives image from 1966 shows the block north of MacLean Park, when it was adjacent to Jackson Avenue. An entire city block of homes was cleared to create a new park, and in turn the old park, and this block were incorporated into a new non-market housing project, also called MacLean Park. Designed in the late 1950s, construction didn’t take place until later in 1966. Here the development consisted of family rowhouses.

The last building awaiting clearance was the only apartment building originally built on the block. Developed in 1911 for H Williamson, it cost $11,000 to build. There were four H Williamsons, but we can probably rule out the meat cutter, clerk, and fireman with the CPR, which leaves Horace Williamson, owner of a brokerage firm in 1910. He lived in Mount Pleasant, and a year later when this was built he owned the People’s Drug Store, on Main and Fraser. Horace was born in Oshawa, Ontario, in 1877, and headed west like so many others. He was a carpenter, building several houses, the first in 1901 for his family. Here here hired architects, Campbell & Bennett, and a builder, C Baumeister.

He married Flora Maclean (known as Hattie and born in Nova Scotia) in 1900 and they went on to have eight children. In 1901 they were in rooms in Keefer Street, living with David MacLean (another carpenter) – Hattie’s father. Horace had lodged with the family from his arrival in 1899, which is presumably how he met his wife.

By 1904 he had become an insurance agent, and then set up his brokerage. Up to 1914 he ran the Vancouver Mortgage Co, and was living on East 15th Avenue. Then the family went missing – there’s no record of them in British Columbia, although they were back in the same house by the 1921 census. Flora is shown born in PEI rather than Nova Scotia, and they had six children at home aged from one to 18, all born in BC. Horace was still an insurance broker, and his oldest son, ‘Melbourne’, (actually he was christened Horace as well), was an apprentice.

It’s possible the family moved away during the war years to Pender Harbour (and not Pender Island – thanks Kathy!) Horace had land there, and in 1908 built a log cabin. The family spent a great deal of time there, and the Pender Harbour Living Heritage Society have many photographs of the family and the homes that Horace built there. His log cabin is seen on the left, and on the right Horace and Hattie with a deer they had shot.

They appear to have returned to live on the Sunshine Coast until the early 1950s. While Horace M was in Vancouver (later working as a mechanic), there’s no sign of his father living in the city. Horace was 80 when he died in Victoria in 1958. He had been living there for six months with one of his daughters following the death of Hattie, also aged 80, in 1957. Her PEI origins were confirmed on her death certificate.

We assume Horace sold his rooming house on Keefer at some point. In the 1920s these were the OK Rooms, run by J Olson in 1925, then from the late 1920s and through the 1930s they were the Asahi Rooms, (run by Mrs. Matsuda in 1938), and in 1953 back to the OK Rooms run by J Krywetzki and Mrs V Prisner.

Image source: City of Vancouver Archives CVA 780-374

1139

Posted 16 December 2021 by ChangingCity in East End, Gone

Tagged with ,

King Rooms – 330 Powell Street

We’ve looked at the history of the building on the right in an earlier post. The King Rooms are the third four storey rooming house in the row. All three adjacent buildings were developed in 1912, and all three had the same architect, but for different owners. Norman Symonds designed the rooms, and R G Wilson built them for $22,500. L A Lewis was the developer here, while Sam Mah Yuen developed the two buildings to the west.

Mr. Lewis was initially a mystery. There were lots of people called Lewis, but none in the city with the initial ‘L’. Fortunately, in 1912 The Province announced “a 4 storey block for L.A. Lewis and Mr. Mathers of New Westminster” on Powell Street near Gore, so we can tell that Mr. Lewis was Manager of Brunette Saw Mills. He was a legend in his home city, having been a member of the Salmonberries hockey team. In an 1893 game, “in the fourth game of a match against Victoria at Queen’s Park, L.A. Lewis was struck twice on the head by twenty-nine-year-old Harry Morton’s stick. His second whack at Lewis knocked Lewis unconscious, ‘blood spurting from a ghastly looking wound in his head.’ As angry New Westminster supporters flooded the field, a dazed Lewis got to his feet and ran to Morton. The men grappled and Lewis again fell to the ground insensible. Lewis was carried off the field and the club’s physician, Dr. Fagan, dressed an inch-long cut in the side of his head, discovering that a small artery had been severed.”

W.J. Mathers and L.A. Lewis were both shareholders in The Westminster Trust and Safe Deposit Co. Ltd, incorporated in New Westminster in 1904, the province’s first trust company. Lewis Allen Lewis was from Ontario and no doubt to avoid confusion, he was known either by his initials or as L Allen Lewis. He was aged 37 in the 1901 census, living with his wife, Annette, who was two years younger, and also from Ontario, and their two children aged 5 and 1, Lewis and Evan. They had a domestic servant; a retired teacher who came from Gibraltar. In 1912 he owned a car, inaccurately registered to 26 Granville Street, Vancouver (actually his New Westminster address).

William J. Mathers was the New Westminster manager for the Brackman-Ker Milling Company. He purchased the first two lots of the Deer Lake Crescent subdivision and in 1912 built a magnificent Romanesque revival-styled home designed by architect F.W. Macey for a reported cost of $13,000. The 1911 census described him as a 48 year old merchant, from Ontario. His wife Mary was nine years younger, from Quebec, and they had two children aged 3 and 8 months; M Kathleen and William M.

The building was initially listed as ‘Japanese Rooms’, then in 1916 listed as the Stanley Rooms, run by R Tao. There was a Japanese tea room on street level, and the Kane Shooting Gallery in the basement. By the 1930s the name had changed to the King Rooms, run in 1932 by K Matsuoka and in 1940 by R Yamamoto. The tea room evolved into a dry-goods store run by various Japanese owners: Yamauchi, Morimoto and Higashiyama. Although U. Morimoto & Co. leased the store for only 2 years (1919-1921), the Morimoto name is still visible on the tiled entrance today. This building was also the address for the Canadian Japanese Social Athletic Club in the 1920s.

Once the Japanese had been forced from the area in the early years of the war, new owners operated the rooms; at the end of the war Foon Wong was the proprietor, and was still running the rooms in 1955. The building attracted little attention from the local press, with the exception of one story in the Province in 1952. “Blind Indian Found Hungry. A blind Indian who waited, foodless, four days in a rooming house for his wife to return, was fed by another tenant and then turned over to the Indian agent’ Heber Harris, 59, living at King’s Rooms, 326 Powell, told police his wife left him Saturday to visit a cousin and did not return. Police contacted Indian agent J. B. Clemmitt and detectives of the missing person detail are attempting to locate the woman.”

Today the original storefront is still in place, just as it was in our 1978 image, and the privately run rental rooms upstairs still share toilets and bathrooms on each landing.

1138

Posted 13 December 2021 by ChangingCity in East End, Still Standing

Tagged with , ,

Burrard Street north from Melville

This 1929 Vancouver Public Library image, photographed by Philip Timms,  shows the nearly new Loyal Order of Moose Lodge No. 888 on the east side of the street at 636 Burrard. The builder for the $70,000 development was the Dominion Construction Co. It’s possible the company designed the project in-house; Charles Bentall was not averse to sketching how projects could be built, even though he wasn’t a qualified architect.

Down the street is Southard Motors Ltd. at 600 Burrard. Designed by R A McKenzie, it cost $15,000, was built by Bedford Davidson, and developed by G G McGeer – former Liberal politician Gerry McGeer. He had represented Richmond in the Provincial government in the 1920s, and would be re-elected in the early 1930s both as MLA and mayor of Vancouver, and then as an MP.

Southard had been on West Georgia in 1925, selling Essex cars – a part of Hudson Motors of Detroit. In 1930 they had this branch, and one in a different West Georgia location. As well as the Essex Super-Six they were selling the Hudson Super-Eight.

Archelaus Southard was president of the company, with a house in Shaughnessy. He was from a Methodist family, was born in Ontario, and was more often called Archie. In 1895 he was in Alberta, working as a tailor. That year he married Flora McDonald, and in 1911 they were living in Medicine Hat, where he was a merchant. He must have been successful; they had an 11-year-old daughter at home, Kathleen, an American governess and a Swedish maid. They appear to have had a son, also christened Archelaus, in 1918. The Southard name traces back to a family living in New York in the 1700s, and had a tradition of sons being christened Archelaus stretching back several generations; (-some in the the 1800s were Quakers). The owner of Southard’s Motors was 77 when he died in 1950, and his wife Flora was 85 on her death in 1959.

In 1930 the company relocated to Granville Street – in 1938 they were selling Chrysler cars. Knight Motors moved in here, selling Chevrolet motors in the early 1930, although by 1936 De Wolfe Motors had replaced them. Like Southard’s operation here, they apparently sold pre-owned vehicles, but De Wolfe seem to have specialized in trucks, and were Reo Distributors for B C. Named after Ransom Eli Olds, and based in Lancing, Michigan, as well as cars, Reo (or REO, the company favoured either option) were best known for their Speedwagon trucks.

At the start of the war the premises were vacant, and by 1941 Empire Motors had moved in. They sold Ford and Mercury cars, and Ford trucks. They stayed here until the early 1950s, when the site was redeveloped as a Home Gas Station, with the Midtown Motors garage, run by Philip and David Kobayashi, specializing in body repairs and like Empire, offering u-drive cars.

On the north side of Dunsmuir, the half-timbered English styled building was the YWCA, developed in 1905 to W T Dalton’s design, with a 1909 addition.

Today Park Place, addressed as 666 Burrard and completed in 1984, occupies the sites of the lodge and the garage. The YWCA was replaced with a much larger building in 1969, that was closed in 1995 and demolished in 1997. It was replaced several years later by the Cactus Club Cafe a low-rise building associated with Bentall 5, an office tower built in two stages to eventually reach 33 floors in 2007, (but initially only 22 in 2002).

1137

Posted 9 December 2021 by ChangingCity in Downtown, Gone

Tagged with , , ,

853 East Pender Street

The three storey building to the right of the image is earlier than the other elements, and was designed by Franklin Cross for ‘Mac Juliana’ in 1923 (according to its permit). We were totally unable to find anyone with a name close to that in Vancouver, or indeed, anywhere in Canada in either census on either side of 1923. Mosimo Julien was recoded living at 853 E Pender in 1925 an expressman, and Michael Julien was shown running the grocery store here in 1926, but whether the clerk at City Hall or the directory recorder were accurate was impossible to say.

Then we realised that Mosimo could be Massimo, and discovered Massimo Giuliani, whose surname was finally recorded accurately in 1927, when he was living on Powell Street. The directory thought he was either Massimo or Mathimo – he had two entries – and he was working as desk clerk in the Hotel Heatley that year. He was born in Abruzzo, Italy in 1889, and was aged 67 and had last been a Boarding House Proprietor when he died in 1957 in West Vancouver. His death notice in the Vancouver Sun noted that he was known as Mike Giuliani. In 1928 he moved from Vancouver to the north shore, and in 1929 he was shown as ‘Giuliani Massinino retired h 151 E 6 N Van’. His wife, Madellena was 69 when she died in North Vancouver in 1962. They had a daughter, Mary, who was born in Vancouver in 1915, although we can’t find the family in the 1921 census, but that might be because the family apparently moved to the US for a while in 1916.

The ‘3-storey brick & concrete store & apt. bldg’ was initially addressed as 853 E Pender, and had 7 suites. In 1930 there were only five shown, and all but one was vacant. In 1931 the entire building was empty, and a year later the St. Vincent’s Home and Shelter had opened, to ‘offer charitable hospitality to transients’ for 15 men, run by the Grey Sisters of the Immaculate Conception, who also established St Francis Xavier School in Chinatown. In 1942 the building was enlarged (with the two-storey wing to the west, and an extra 51 beds) and added long-term care for the elderly. In 1969 the 152-bed Youville Residence replaced the St Vincent’s Shelter on the corner of 33rd Avenue and Heather Street.

Our 1978 image shows the buildings not long before they were redeveloped. Today the Rose Garden Co-op is located here; technically covered by the single room accommodation by-law. The 54 unit building was completed in 1981.

1136

Posted 6 December 2021 by ChangingCity in East End, Gone

Tagged with ,

Bute Street and Barclay

The two-storey (and basement) ‘residential hotel’ was designed by Franklin Cross in 1925 for ‘Parkinson & Dann’ and cost $46,000. John Dann and Robert Parkinson ran the Langham Hotel, a boarding house on Nelson Street, where they both lived, and we assume they were the developers. The new building wasn’t really a thing of beauty, and was run initially as a hotel, and later as a rooming house called Coniston Lodge. The photograph which dates from 1925 came from an album in the Parks Board archives and was captioned “Bare trunks and arms are all that remain after these trees are reduced to make habitable this new apartment block ‘Coniston Lodge’. The trees on the other side of this block are similarly treated.”

John Dann was born in 1874 in Accrington, England He married Annie Parkinson (who was born in 1888) in 1917, and they had a son, Allan, in 1919. They arrived around 1921, but John died in 1928. Annie continued to live at Coniston Lodge, and died in 1969 In Prince George, having never re-married. Their son Allan was 10 days short of 100 when he died in 2019. Robert Parkinson and his wife Anna also lived at Coniston Lodge for many years. We’re reasonably certain he was Annie’s older brother (he was nine years older, and they had two other brothers between them, Herbert and Fred), and he died in Vancouver in 1956.

Beyond Coniston Lodge is Beaconsfield, a 1909 apartment building developed by A J Woodward, who we think was a Victoria florist and nursery owner.

In 1993 The Stafford, a 25 unit strata building designed by Isaac-Renton Architects replaced Coniston Lodge, in a pastiche historic style presumably intended to fit in with the surrounding older rental buildings.

Image source: City of Vancouver Archives CVA 357-9

1135

Posted 2 December 2021 by ChangingCity in Gone, West End

Tagged with ,