Archive for the ‘Broadway’ Category

Cambie and Broadway nw (2)

Cambie & Broadway 2

In 1989 a Royal Bank appeared on the north-west corner of Cambie and Broadway. In the interim during the 1940s the Hall Motor Co operated on the corner, with a cartage firm just down the street, although both had gone by the early 1950s. Before that there was a filling station, as we showed in an earlier post. Alongside and behind the bank was the Fairchild Square – an auto centred mall with small retail stores and restaurants around a central parking courtyard, with offices at the back for Fairchild Radio and TV. The centre was developed by Thomas Fung, the owner of Fairchild Media (which he acquired in 1993).

Fairchild went on to develop the Aberdeen Centre in Richmond, and PCI took on development of the site, hiring Peter Busby’s architectural company to replace the bank (who are back in the new building) along with Wholefoods, London Drugs, Lululemon and medical and other office space in a project called Crossroads, completed in 2009.

Image source, City of Vancouver Archives CVA 772-318

0238

Advertisements

Posted July 12, 2013 by ChangingCity in Broadway, Gone

Cambie and Broadway nw (1)

Cambie & Broadway 1

Here’s one of the busiest corners in town – remarkably so considering it’s not in the Downtown. In 1932 it was just a bit more quiet. City Hall wasn’t here – the decision to locate it on Strathcona park wouldn’t be made for three years. There was a gas station on the corner, one of a remarkable number nearby, and a billboard. The gas station offered complete lubrication and Dunlop tyres. Beyond the billboard was another billboard, and the home of Albert C Jeffers.

Today the Crossroads development, designed by Busby and Associates, showcases green construction with a mix of office space and big-box retail and a residential component down the street to the west. And on the other side of the (much busier) street there’s still a billboard.

Image source, City of Vancouver Archives CVA 20-84

0237

Posted July 11, 2013 by ChangingCity in Broadway, Gone

Cambie Street and 5th Avenue

Standard Oil 5th & Cambie

Here’s the Standard Oil station at 5th Avenue on Cambie Street. Photographer Stuart Thompson was commissioned by the company to record their new filling station, and he photographed it in 1935. Just as coffee shops seem to cluster today, so apparently did filling stations. The driveway to the right of the picture led into the older Union Oil gas bar. Union and Standard were rivals, Union based in California and Standard in New York.

They weren’t the only auto businesses in the area – Nye’s service station can be seen behind the gas bar in both pictures. Designed by Townley and Matheson it was built in 1923 and also sold gas. While the Nye building lives on in a new role, as a funeral director’s, the two gas bars were replaced in 1993 by the ICBC office complex housing the main police station with one of the Insurance Corporation’s assessment centres.

Image source City of Vancouver Archives CVA 99-4774

0235

Posted July 9, 2013 by ChangingCity in Broadway, Gone

Tagged with ,