Archive for the ‘Empire Hotel’ Tag

East Hastings and Columbia – sw corner

Here is the Empire Hotel (the second we’ve featured with that name on Hastings Street) as it looked in 1931. Now it’s addressed as 92 East Hastings Street, but it used to be known as 401-and-a-half Columbia Street.  These days it’s a smaller building, the 1961 bank that’s now occupied by Pigeon Park Savings – at least for now, as the building was recently sold. We’re not sure how old the original hotel was, but it was given a major expansion in 1906 with Parr and Fee carrying out the design work. It’s one of a number of locations around the city where the existing building is actually smaller than what used to be there.

Image source: City of Vancouver Archives CVA 99-3885


Posted 26 December 2011 by ChangingCity in East End, Gone

Tagged with , ,

Empire Hotel – East Hastings Street

Here’s the Empire Hotel at 122 East Hastings in 1951 seen in a Vancouver Public Library image. Sixty years later it’s still there, these days called Brandiz Hotel, although it’s a permanent home for Single Room Occupancy residents. Like many buildings of the era (this one was built in 1913 and designed by H A Hodgson for Seabold and Roberts) the cornice has been removed. The building permit suggests it was built as apartments for $60,000, although it appeared in the 1913 street directory as the Hotel Seward.  Later it was renamed the Howard Hotel, before it became the Empire. The small restaurants and shops next door have recently been demolished, along with the Pantages Theatre, for a condo project.