Archive for the ‘Kaplan & Sprachman’ Tag

Vogue Theatre – Granville Street

Kaplan and Sprachman didn’t have a complete monopoly on theatre design in Canada, but it was close – they’re estimated to have designed three quarters of all the theatres built over a 30 year period from 1920. Their architectural practice was in Toronto, where they also designed apartments, commercial buildings and synagogues. It probably wasn’t a Jewish connection that brought them to Vancouver though; their client, George Reifel, claimed to be Methodist, although over a very successful business career, authorities in both the US and Canada identified him as far from encouraging a teetotal lifestyle.

Heinrich Reifel (known as Henry in Canada), came to Canada from Bavaria (via two years in Portland and Chicago) in 1888, and briefly established a brewery near Westminster Avenue in Vancouver, known as the ‘San Fransisco Brewery’ that failed very quickly. Henry decamped to Victoria, and then Nanaimo, where he was a head brewer of the brewery there. He married Annie Brown, originally from San Francisco, although more recently in Barkerville, in September 1892. Annie was four years younger, at 19. Nine and a half months later George Reifel was born, followed by Henry Frederick (known as Harry) at the end of 1895 and Florence in 1898.

Henry, and his two brothers, built a brewing empire starting in Nanaimo, and then incorporating the Vancouver Breweries business. Both his sons studied brewing in the US and returned to work in the family business. Some histories say the arrival of prohibition in Canada saw Henry and his sons head to Japan in 1916, where they helped establish the Anglo-Japanese Brewing Company, making malt from rice. (As originally a German family, British Columbia wasn’t a great place to be during the war). George had recently married Alma Barnes in St. Paul’s Anglican Church in Vancouver, and in time they had three children.

In the 1921 census only Conrad Reifel, Henry’s brother, was listed living in Nanaimo (as a brewer), but the street directories show Henry, George and Henry F Reifel all living in Vancouver from 1914 onwards, and despite prohibition starting in 1917, involved at BC Breweries as foreman, managing director and advertising director throughout the war years. In the early 1920s, with production once more legally able to be sold in Canada, the family owned a variety of liquor-related businesses. They were also involved in organising Consolidated Exporters, supposedly shipping locally produced and imported beer, wine and spirits past the US in a variety of freighters, but often returning empty without ever having reached their South or Central American destinations (although the ship’s paperwork often told a different story). The Reifels owned the schooner Lira de Agua (registered in Nicaragua) through their Northern Freighters business, and the Ououkinish, a former halibut schooner, through their Atlantic and Pacific Navigation Company. Their City of San Diego was probably the first ‘mother ship’ to set off southwards, in 1922.

By the end of the 1920s the family were awash with cash. The brothers each built an extravagant mansion near the Marpole BC Distilleries plant. George built the Commodore Ballroom in 1929, and the family sold their entire brewing operation in 1933, when his father, Henry, retired. In 1940, despite the wartime economy, George commissioned the The Vogue, a 1,300 seat movie house with a stage designed to also allow live performance. The cinema operation (part of the Odeon chain) closed in 1987, and the theatre’s future looked uncertain. Acquired by a development company, it was restored and reopened sporadically in 1992 with a few live performances every year. Another change of ownership, and further repairs in 2009 has seen the theatre operating with around 200 events every year, including live music, comedy, and cultural performances.

Image source: Jewish Museum and Archives, Leonard Frank, LF.00217

1033

Posted 10 December 2020 by ChangingCity in Downtown, Still Standing

Tagged with ,

Granville Street – 900 block, east side (1)

900 Granville east

We’ve seen one of these buildings in a post a short while ago. That’s the building with the Aristocrat Cleaners and the Elite Café. We’re pretty certain it was designed by Thomas Fee as his own investment. To the north (on the left) the Siesta Rooms were built by T McWhinnie who hired Parr and Fee to design it and Peter Tardiff to construct it in 1910. It started life as the Harvard Hotel, with Langridge Furniture operating from the main floor. Thomas McWhinnie also owned the Columbia Hotel from the early 1900s and built the current building (that’s still standing) on Columbia Street in 1911.

In both the 1943 Vancouver Public Library picture, and today, the Vogue Theatre occupies the lot to the north (on the edge of the picture). It’s a late art deco design by Toronto-based Kaplan and Sprachman, dating from 1940. The Jewish Virtual Library says that Sprachman lived and worked in an almost exclusively Yiddish world, and most of his clients were Jews. That wasn’t true here – his patron was George C Reifel; brewer, reputed rum-runner and (according to the 1911 census) a Methodist. Ten years earlier the Reifel family had built the Commodore Ballroom on the block to the north.

To the south of the Elite Café were two single storey retail buildings, dating back to the early part of the 1900s. We haven’t traced a permit for their construction, there were two recorded in 1915 for repairs and alterations by two owners; G E Boughton and Powers & Broughtton, (sic) who were listed as agents. The clerk on the second permit was obviously feeling the need to add superfluous letters – Mr Boughton was the owner.

Over the years many businesses set up and closed here. In this 1943 image the La Salle Shoe Repair store was next to the Little Saratoga coffee shop (owned by Alex Constabaris) and the La Salle barbers. The shoe repair was run by C E Westlake, while the shoe repairer was C D Peterson. The La Salle Lunch was on the opposite side of the street. The Constabaris family were grieving a wartime tragedy; Alex and Helen’s son, James, was piloting a Lockheed Hudson III patrol bomber from Newfoundland for delivery to Britain in 1942 when the plane crashed at sea. His body was eventually recovered, and he was buried in Ireland. A lawyer, he received the Governors Gold medal when studying at the University of Alberta in 1938.

Today the Siesta Rooms are a Single Room Occupancy hotel, with the Roxy nightclub downstairs. Next door are two recent buildings, both designed by Studio One Architecture for Bonnis Properties.

0382

Posted 3 October 2014 by ChangingCity in Downtown, Gone, Still Standing

Tagged with , ,