Archive for the ‘Marshall Rooms’ Tag

569 Hamilton Street

Older than it’s neighbour to the north, the building on the left was first shown in 1910 as ‘rooming house’ and in 1911 was named as the Hamilton Rooms, with Albert L Allen running the building. He arrived in Vancouver in 1911, and apparently missed the census (or was missed by it). The building looks like it was it was approved during the ‘lost records’ period, in 1908, so we don’t know neither architect, but thanks to Patrick Gunn’s sleuthing we have the likely developers: J J Grey and L Barry – from the Daily World “A permit was taken out this morning for a $16,000 three-storey brick and stone building, to be erected at the corner of Hamilton and Dunsmuir streets. The building, which is to be 50-ft x 120-ft, is to be fitted on the ground floor for stores, while the two upper flats will be laid out for an apartment house.” In 1910 Lawrence Barry was living two blocks from here at 719 Hamilton, and John J Gray, a real estate agent on West 6th Avenue.

In 1913 John E McIntyre was in charge, and in 1914 it had become the Hamilton Hotel, run by Mrs Mary Nash, and S Howe a year later. From 1916 to 1918 the building was vacant, reopening as the Marshall Rooms, run by James Marshall. After the constant turnover of proprietors, Mr. Marshall brought stability to the building’s management, continuing to manage the rooms until the 1930s. Very little seems to have occurred in the hotel. The only instance we found was in 1918 when it was reported that “Mrs. M. J. McDougall, Marshall Rooms, Hamilton Street, was the loser of a quantity of Jewelery, value unstated, which was stolen during the night by someone w ho obtained possession of a passkey to her room.”

During the war Mrs K Sabotka was running the hotel – in 1935 she had been running the Cadillac Hotel (now the Del Mar) next door. In the late 1940s S R Vassey & R M Rose ran the Marshall Hotel, a name it retained until it closed in the mid 1980s soon after this image was shot. In the early 1990s BC Hydro had managed to acquire enough land to build their new headquarters office; a vaguely post-modern tower intended to show a stream running from a mountain peak in its design. Completed in 1992, it was designed by Musson Cattell Mackey. This part of the site became a landscaped open space with an oddly located clocktower.

Image source: City of Vancouver Archives CVA 790-1847



Posted January 15, 2018 by ChangingCity in Downtown, Gone

Tagged with ,