Archive for the ‘R V Pushaw’ Tag

Burrard Street – 1200 block, north side (2)

We saw a different angle of this block in a much earlier post, as it appeared in 1914. Then the road was barely paved, and there were houses running down the hill beyond the three storey Burrard Court, built in 1911 by R Y Blackhall and designed for him by R V Pushaw, (who was also really a builder rather than an architect). Although Mr. Blackhall was identified in the 1911 census as a builder, he doesn’t appear to have obtained any permits to build anything except for himself. In 1910 Robert Blackhall was already shown as involved in real estate, rather than construction. He was aged 40, born in Caraquet, New Brunswick, like his wife Annie (born in Dalhousie Parish in Restigouche County). He hadn’t been in Vancouver for many years, as his daughters, aged 9 and 11 had also been born there.

While many abandoned the real estate business during and after World War I, Robert continued, partnering with Alexander Muir during the early 1920s, with offices on West Pender. By 1930 he was living in an apartment building on E 10th Avenue, and appears to have retired. Robert was nearly 80 when he died in 1949; Annie had died in 1923 aged 60. Burrard Court was replaced by Milano, a Paul Merrick designed condo building, completed in 1999.

On the corner of Davie Street today is the last operational gas station in the entire Downtown peninsula – and reported to have been sold for future redevelopment. Once upon a time there were at least 99 gas bars Downtown – including another immediately across Davie Street. Our 1981 image shows an earlier version of the Esso station here; the current version was built in 1995. Before the gas station was built there were stores with apartments above. In 1958 Cunningham Drugs occupied the corner store, as we saw in an earlier post.

Image source City of Vancouver Archives CVA 779-W18.04

Advertisements

Posted February 4, 2019 by ChangingCity in Downtown, Gone

Tagged with ,