Archive for the ‘Rev E D McLaren’ Tag

Burrard and Melville Streets

From 1891 this was the home of Rev E D McLaren. Ebenezer Duncan McLaren was the minister of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church from 1889 until he retired due to ill health in 1911. He was born in 1850, in Lanark, Ontario and he attended Queen’s University in Kingston. He graduated in 1873 and was minister 0f several churches in Ontario. He married, and had three children; two born in Ontario and one soon after the family arrived in Vancouver. He lived in this house from his arrival in 1891 through to his retirement in 1911, when he moved to the West End, and in 1922 had a $7,000 house built on Connaught Drive. It’s likely that he had this house built, and while we know his neighbour a block away was architect C O Wickenden, we don’t know who designed it.

Following his retirement, in 1912 he was invited to become president of Western Residential Schools, but they closed soon afterwards, partly because of the war-time depression. In 1916 he went overseas as chaplain with the 158th Battalion. After the war, he returned to British Columbia, where he was the chaplain of the Shaughnessy Military Hospital in Vancouver and the Tranquille Provincial Sanitarium near Kamloops. He died in 1935. That was a year after the house had been replaced by Union Oil’s Burrard Service Station, one of a number in this immediate vicinity.

Today the Hyatt Hotel towers over the retail entrance to the Royal Centre, with a restaurant above a Staples office supplies store.

Image source: City of Vancouver Archives CVA 677-958

Advertisements

Posted December 18, 2017 by ChangingCity in Downtown, Gone

Tagged with