Archive for the ‘Shaldon Hotel’ Tag

Shaldon Hotel – 52 East Hastings Street (2)

Windsor Hotel 52 E Hastings 1931

We’ve seen the Shaldon Hotel before, and here’s a slightly earlier image from 1931 when it was known as the Windsor Hotel. As seems to be the case for a number of the city’s hotels, the same name has appeared on more than one building over the years – there was another Windsor Hotel on Granville Street, and an earlier building with the same name on Water Street in the 1890s.

In 1931 the hotel was owned by L S Barrack  who seems to have recently acquired it from Sam Plastino, an Italian who had been born in Italy in 1886 and was married to a Scottish born wife. Whether he was related to the Sam Plastino accused (unsuccessfully) of being a white slaver in Spokane twenty years earlier isn’t clear. That Sam Plastino was a former Northwest pool playing champion turned real estate agent who was fined and then jailed for bootlegging in 1917.

Photo source: City of Vancouver Archives CVA 99-3884

0149

Advertisements

Posted December 15, 2012 by ChangingCity in East End, Still Standing

Tagged with , , ,

Shaldon Hotel – 52 East Hastings Street (1)

The Shaldon Hotel seems to have started life with expectations that it would be called the Empress Hotel in 1908. The tall, narrow building a bit further west that is still called the Empress was initially the New Empress Hotel, and not built until 1913, and the Empres was next door, and built in 1909. Whether the Empress name was ever used here is unclear, but it seems unlikely, although that’s what it was called in Contract Record in 1908. When it was finished in 1909 it was called the Wright Building and the Grand Central Rooms. It was named after its owner, H D Wright of Seattle, and was designed by H B Watson.

Over the years it became the St James Hotel, (seen here in 1935), the Wilbur Rooms, the Windsor Hotel, and now the Shaldon Hotel. Here it’s shown in 1935. It was bought by BC Housing in 2008, and it has already received a new roof, with further renovations still to come in its continuing role as housing for low income residents.

Image source: City of Vancouver Archives Hot P76

0013

Posted December 26, 2011 by ChangingCity in East End, Still Standing

Tagged with , , ,